Tuesday, February 8, 2011

So how'd did you get that shot "Horsetail Falls 2"

In my last post I spoke about preparation for getting unusual photographs.  Doing a bit of research can yield great results. But I have to admit that many of my best photos have had a bit of serendipity in the mix.  I always make sure I have the appropriate equipment available when doing a shoot. In fact usually too much "stuff".  As a result I am able to respond to that which Mother Nature throws my way. The photo (left) is a result of just such a circumstance. 
While back in Yosemite trying for another shot at Horsetail Falls from a different angle, the weather was not as good as my first attempt a few years back. 
I decided to try to compose the photo from along the Merced river near Sentinel Beach.  The main road was still under construction and not accessible anyway due to snow. I put on my snowshoes and started off in promising conditions.
Just as I got to a point along the river where I wanted to be, sure enough the weather changed rather quickly.  I decided to set up anyway until darkness came. It didn't look good for this years attempt. El Capitan became completely shrouded in clouds. It was so quiet...and then it happened. A small hole opened up and golden light shone on the rock face illuminating the falls in a way I couldn't have imagined.
I couldn't believe it - less than 5 minutes and it was gone.  At 16x40 inches this image is really stunning (so I'm told).
And that's how I got that shot. To see it without the copyright logo - go to this link  Horsetail Falls 2
Until next time...

Thanks for visiting,
                               John



No comments:

Post a Comment