Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Who's living in your yard?

UPDATE: June 21 - Sad to say a couple of Blue Jays showed up the other morning and raided the nest. Mom (pictured here) really tried to put up a fight but was outnumbered. I checked the nest later - no survivors...a sad reminder that life's not easy.

Summer is coming and little residents have moved into your yard....in fact they are starting families.
While trimming my hedge the other day I was reminded of this. Just as I started, a bird flew in my face. Moments later after catching my breath I realized I had disturbed a Dove sitting on her eggs. She and her mate had built a nest in the rose vines atop my fence.I backed off and decided the trimming could wait.
A few days later I set up a ladder across the yard and took a photo of "Mama" sitting on her eggs. I used a 300mm lens so I could keep a good distance and not disturb her.
This time of year is especially good to go into your garden and get some nice photographic opportunities. Throw on a macro or telephoto lens and check out flowers blooming or little critters hanging out....Have fun!

John








No comments:

Post a Comment